Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Better Than Swig Sugar Cookies

Many of you have seen the recipe for Swig sugar cookies going around on pinterest. If not, if you live in St. George Utah you've probably tried some Swig sugar cookies. It's the happenin place right now. They aren't my favorite cookies though. Sure they're good, and sure they're trendy. However, I realized I like my sugar cookies nice and fluffy with some yummy cream cheese frosting. Again, this is the recipe my mom gave to me. Everyone usually likes them. You can make them for every holiday.



Ingredients:
1 cup Crisco
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
Cream together Crisco and sugar. Add eggs and mix thoroughly. Add the milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients until combined. The dough shouldn't be sticky.

There are a couple of different ways you can make the cookies. You can roll them out and use the cookie cutters. I do this for every holiday. I usually make different colors of frosting for the different holidays and then decorate them.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

OR

you can make them look like Swig's. You'll want to put the dough in the fridge for about 10 minutes if you want to make them look like Swig's. This way the dough will be the right consistency to make the cracked edges.

Then you'll roll the dough into balls a little bit smaller than golf balls. Place on a cookie sheet. Grab a bowl and pour some sugar in it. Get a drinking glass. Dip the bottom of the dipping glass in the dough mixture to get it sticky, then in the sugar. Press down on the ball to flatten edges.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Let cool before frosting. You can use any frosting to make these. Most of the time I just use canned frosting. But when I'm feeling extra motivated I make this:

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup of butter, softended
8 oz cream cheese
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add more powdered sugar as needed to make it creamy.  

2 comments:

  1. Now this is a REAL sugar cookie recipe. Is the dough sticky? I ask because I'm wanting to use the glass/press method. Thank you for this recipe! Swigs are more short bread and just reading their recipe ingredients from all over the web proves it. This is why people are adding more sugar to tweak Swigs recipe. Sugar cookies ARE sugar cookies. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog! Totally amkes sense Swig's are short bread. I love this one! The dough shouldn't be sticky. You should add flour 1/4 cup at a time until it's not sticky. :) Hope that helps! Thanks again!!

      Stephanie

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...