Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Orange Rolls

I wanted to make something that I've never made for my neighbors and friends this year. On Christmas morning my mom would always make orange rolls. Even though everything was typically homemade from here, these were never homemade. I didn't have a recipe for it, other than my dough recipe and regular cinnamon rolls. Anyway, I decided to make them to try them out and see if they would work as neighbor gifts this year.
I made one batch of dough which equaled out to be 18 rolls. I put them in those circle disposable pans to make it easy. I tried one right away to see how it tasted and put the other two in the freezer. I tried one that was in the freezer this morning and there was no difference! Yum! Can't wait to make them for Christmas.

I plan on making a cute little tag for them. I will post them as soon as I do.
you get the half eaten picture until I make another batch. I just couldn't wait :)


First make the dough:
 2 cups heated milk (heat in the microwave for 2 minutes)
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 -5 cups flour
2 teaspoons yeast

If you have a bread maker just put the ingredients in the bread maker in that order on the dough setting. This is what I do and I LOVE it.

 If not just use a mixer. Melt the butter in the milk. Pour milk into mixer. Add sugar and salt. Slowly add half of the flour. Add the yeast and the rest of the flour. Knead for 5-10 minutes. Dough should be soft. Cover and let raise for about 45 minutes. (at least 10 if you don't have a lot of time)

Filling Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
orange juice concentrate, thawed


Frosting Ingredients:
1 square butter
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, thawed
splash of water
2 teaspoons orange zest

Roll the dough in a rectangle shape. You could also just roll the dough in a pan and use the pan to guide the shape and then cut the rolls. Spread the butter over the dough, covering it all. sprinkle the sugars over the butter. Drizzle a couple tablespoons of the orange juice concentrate over the sugars. Roll from the long side as tight as possible.
Cut into rolls, I usually do about 1.5 inches apart. Place in the greased baking dish you are using.
To cook right away let them raise for about an hour (or more if you have time). Then cook on 350 for 22 minutes. They should be light brown when done. Pipe icing over them while they are warm.

To make the frosting just mix all ingredients until they are nice and fluffy. Add water and/or powdered sugar as needed to get the taste you desire.

To Freeze:
After you place them in the baking dish cover with foil and then the lid. When you are ready to make them, take them out and let them sit out until they are room temperature (that takes about an hour to two hours) Then let them raise another hour. You could also take them out of the freezer the night before you want to serve them and put them in the fridge. Then you can let them raise about an hour and a half outside the fridge.
Once the rolls have doubled in size you will cook them on 350 for about 22 minutes.

And there you go! Easy homemade orange rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...