Friday, November 1, 2013

Why is it important for me to get an education?

The curriculum in "Come Follow Me" this month is all about "Spiritual & Temporal Self-Reliance." I am teaching the whole group of young women this week (my first time ) and decided to do the lesson on education.
I have decided to follow the lesson outline on lds.org almost to a T. HERE is the lesson link.  There are a lot of good things in it. I liked it because there are some group work things in there. Since I will have a large group, I plan on dividing them up and making sure they participate! :)

The lesson ideas that stuck out to me and I chose to teach are:

Intro:
Invite the young women to imagine that a friend from church tells them she is going to drop out of school, explaining, “I’m going to get married someday, and my husband will support me, so I don’t need to keep going to school.” How would the young women encourage her to continue to pursue an education? Ask them to write their responses on a piece of paper. Collect the papers, and read and discuss the responses with the class. At the end of class, give them the opportunity to add to their responses based on what they learned during the lesson.

I chose this one because it's something that will happen in every day life. The young women are at a time in their life where they will hear their fellow classmates talking like this.

Next, a few ladies that have pursued their education are coming to come are class to talk about how their education has blessed their lives. I told them to talk for about 3-5 minutes each.

Next, I'm going to divide the class into five different groups to complete this: Assign the young women to read individually one of the five paragraphs from the “Education” section of For the Strength of Youth or the statements by President Gordon B. Hinckley and President Thomas S. Monson at the beginning of the talk “Seek Learning: You Have a Work to Do.” Ask them to explain to the class what they read, and discuss why it is important to work diligently now to gain a good education. Invite the young women to think about and share their goals to gain an education.

Time permitting I will also have them complete this: Divide the class into three groups. Ask the first group to read Proverbs 31:10–31, ask the second group to read the scriptures in this outline that teach that we should seek wisdom and knowledge, and ask the third group to read the scriptures in this outline that give examples of people who sought knowledge. Ask each group to discuss what their assigned scriptures teach them about the importance of pursuing education and developing skills. Invite each group to share with the rest of the class what they discussed. How will gaining an education help the young women in their lives? How will it help them become better wives and mothers?

The scripture references are included on the lds.org lesson plan I linked to above.

Finally, I will share my personal testimony on education, focusing on how much they will learn about themselves.. I will also encourage the young women to seek education in their own ways. College, travel, reading, etc. are all great ideas to gain education.
They will then complete their goals using the sheet I created here:

Feel free to print and share. Just right click the image and save it.

I LOVE the handout that is posted on All Things Bright and Beautiful HERE. It ties perfectly with my lesson. I love the bookmark idea too! So cute.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...