We divided into groups that split up and went to various parts of our neighborhood/ward. I had a few things ready for the girls to just take to people. Each group grabbed a few things.
The assignments and/or stuff I gave ideas to do were:
- take bubbles to the park and either give them to kids playing or leave them for the bubbles to be found later.
- deliver homemade cookies to different people
- pass out root beer with the saying "we are rooting for you" to any they know that might be competing in something. Or someone that might just need a root beer :)
- Wave and say hi to everyone they see.
- Write chalk messages on the sidewalk
- bring garbage cans up to people's houses (this worked out nice since today was garbage day)
- pick garbage up if they saw it
- write anything to make them happy
- anything they felt inspired to do
These were some of the handouts I did...
Afterwards we went back to the church. We put our chairs into a circle and had the girls tell me what they did and how it made them feel. It was really cool to see who they delivered stuff too. Most of it was just to some random strangers. I was so impressed. One girl had the idea to bring bubbles to a house with a bike and knock on the door and run. So many people left chalk messages, a group of girls pulled garbage cans up. The stories were so neat to hear!
Then we played a game with some yarn. I started and threw the yarn to someone. When I threw it to them I had to tell them when thing I admired about them. They wrapped the yarn around their wrist and threw it to someone else and did the same thing. At the end, the whole circle was a big web. Everyone had something nice said about them, and everyone was able to complete a last random act of kindness. I mentioned that even though we are all different we can all have something nice to say to one another. Let's be more Christ like and look for the good in others, not the bad. Our YW president also gave a great message. She said that everyone
is good at something. If we look to the person sitting next to us we can find something they are better at than us. It was fun to see the girls all in a circle and talking nice to one another.
I gave them this handout and then had rice krispie treat balls as snacks.